General Manager’s Report
Natural Times, July/August/September 2012
By Larrane Hartridge
Save the Apalach
A big thanks all our staff, owners and customers for their support of our Save the Apalach fundraiser. As of June 17, we raised over $4,100! The Apalachicola River is the largest river in Florida and the most bio-diverse river system in North America. It flows from the Smoky Mountains touching three states (Alabama, Florida and Georgia), and provides:
- $134 million in commercial fisheries
- $126 million in oyster beds
- $191 million in recreational fisheries (and 2,615 jobs)
- Eco tourism in the four county areas (Franklin, Gulf, Liberty and Wakulla) with 154,000 visitors per year and 3,361 jobs
Threats to our great river include: reduction of life-sustaining freshwater; loss of floodplain and wetland habitat; degradation of water quality and explosive growth and development. The Apalachicola Riverkeepers are working hard to save this treasure, if you didn’t get a chance to donate at New Leaf Market, you can help by joining the Riverkeepers at www.apalachicolariverkeeper.org.
We have a busy summer ahead with lots of exciting new products hitting the shelves. Our deli has added some very lovely salads in the cold case including Creamy Cajun Shrimp, and Beets with Lemon, Mint and Cilantro, with many more on their way. They have also added new items to the catering menu, which can be found in store or online at www.newleafmarket.coop/departments/deli-bakery. The deli isn’t the only department adding new products; see sidebar for a list of additional new items.
Grill Giveaway & Wholemega Promotions
Need a new grill? Here’s your chance to win one! There will be a drawing for a free Weber One-Touch 18.5” Charcoal Grill during the first two weeks in July. Look for the display at the front of the store. Later in July, there will be a big promotion for New Chapter Wholemega products. If your looking for a great “wild caught” fish oil there will be $10.00 off coupons available on the 120/180 sizes and New Chapter will donate $1.00 per bottle sold to Blue Oceans Institute.
Have a great summer.
Look for these new items, on shelves now:
- Bacon Hot Sauce
- Columbia Crest H3 Wine
- Country Life 7-Keto Trim 60vc
- Country LIfe Real Food Organic Prenatal 90tb
- Desert Essence Italian Grape & Red Raspberry Body Wash
- Diving Rod Wine
- Emily G’s Relishes, Marmalade & Jams
- Fetish Playmate Wine
- Field Day Organic Grade B Maple Syrup
- Gunshot Sauce
- illy Coffee Drinks
- Justin’s Nut Butter Squeeze Packs
- Oloves Olive Snacks
- Tabasco Course Ground & Spicy Brown Mustard
- Teras Whey Proteins